The tiny section of beach fronting the Halekulani Hotel is called Gray's Beach by some. It was named for Gray's-by-the-Sea, a small two-story boardinghouse near the beach that was operated by La Vancha Maria Chapin Gray from 1912 to 1929. The boardinghouse was closed when Clifford Kimball, one of the earlier waves of profiteers, bought the property to build the Halekulani Hotel.
Gray's Channel was a natural channel through the reef off the Halekulani Hotel. It was grossly enlarged by dredging in the early 1950s to allow catamarans to come ashore at Gray's Beach. The channel lies between two surf sites, Paradise and Number Threes.